The Saskatchewan plains were home to the nomadic First Nations people before the arrival of Europeans to the area.
Englishman, Henry Kelsey is the first documented European to enter Saskatchewan in 1690, twenty years after England claimed the territory for the Hudson’s Bay Company. In 1868, Rupert’s Land and the Northwest Territories were transferred from the Hudson’s Bay Company to the Dominion of Canada, after which the Canadian government set about devising guidelines for the settlement of the province.
The prairies were soon surveyed and divided into quarter sections (160 acre plots) that were offered for only $10.00 to families and individuals prepared to live on, and farm the land. Millions from around the world flocked to the Canadian prairies to take advantage of these land grants. Other lands were set aside for schools, railway lines, and townships. The Saskatchewan Land Surveyors Association placed this marker which contains documents and accounts of this fertile land’s history, scheduled to be revealed in another 48 years, Canada’s 200th anniversary.
The plaque says, “When we mean to build, we first survey the plot…” – Shakespeare
Here assembled on 29th March, 1968, have deposited documents and historical material for retrieval and examination on Canada’s anniversary in year 2067.
In this land of magnificent vistas and great promise we caught a vision of the future as we surveyed the townsites, townships, roads, rights of way and established the legal boundaries and basis for greater developments in the future.
We salute our successors who with improved instruments and techniques will lead the way to greater developments.
“Thou shalt not remove the neighbor’s land-marks which they of old times have set in thine inheritance.” Deuteronomy 19:14
This monument was designed and constructed by Wascana Centre Authority for the Government of Saskatchewan.”
(Photos were taken in various locations in Wascana Park, Regina, Saskatchewan, depicting the history of the prairies.)